Thursday 27 January 2011

Interview: Armgardt Richter Rose // Abomination Nursery

Hermes
HSL recently had the chance to interview custom horror doll artist Armgardt Richter Rose on his inspirations, up-coming horror movie dolls, favourite creation and more...

Could you introduce yourself for anyone who might not be familiar with your work?
My name is Armgardt Richter Rose and I run Abomination Nursery; creating custom horror dolls and art.

At first, what drew you to the horror genre and macabre styles?
I’ve always enjoyed dark artists like H.R. Giger, as well as horror movie monsters. The reactions of an audience to these works drew me in even more.

What are your favourite horror movies/stories?
The Shining, Rosemary’s Baby, & most zombie movies win my heart.

When did you first discover that you had a talent for art and creating things?
I’ve always dabbled in art since I can remember; drawing, sculpting, painting, & trying out just about every other medium, including dolls.

What inspires you when making something?
The quality of special effects of Tom Savini & Stan Winston are something that I’m always trying to strive for.

What prompted you to start Abomination Nursery in 2008?
I had made and sold some dolls a couple years before and in early 2008, I made one for a friend and remembered how fun it was. I started AN and the website as a way to catalog and display the different pieces of art.

Why did you choose that name for your site/brand?
It’s a satirical take on ‘reborn’ baby websites. There are groups of people that take regular dolls and make them look like realistic human babies. They have websites like Angelwing Nursery, Dimples*N*Dewdrops Nursery, and Kissyskids Nursery. Since my art is almost the opposite of theirs, I thought Abomination Nursery was fitting.

Your dolls also have interesting and unusual names. How do you come up with them?
Most of the first doll names are actually picked from a random baby name generator. I just choose random names until something unique sounding pops up. I put more thought into the most recent ones though; choosing variations of relevant words from latin or other languages.

Did you have an interest in dolls before you began making them?
I’ve always collected toys and action figures, but not specifically dolls. I bought my first doll with the intention of making it horrific.

Some artists find it quite difficult to let others buy/have their pieces as they become attached to them. Has that ever happened to you?
I like to keep photos so I have something to remember each doll, but it’s the process of making them that I find the most fulfilling. In the same way, I also enjoy making sand sculptures and sidewalk chalk art; even though I know I can’t keep the final art.

How long, on average, does each doll take to make?
Most of the dolls take around 2 weeks, working on and off. The longest time I’ve worked on a doll is the commissioned work, “The Cabin Doll”, which took about a month.

Is it easier working with vinyl or with porcelain?
Vinyl is easier to sculpt on and move the way I want it to turn out. Porcelain breaks in a more random way, so I usually crack it first, then decide what to do with it. Vinyl dolls also have much more surface area than porcelain, so they usually take longer.

Which doll is your favourite and why?
Hermes, the doll with the flamethrower, is my favorite. I had a ton of fun trying to figure out how to make a miniature flamethrower. I got a bunch of flamethrower references then went to a hardware store and picked out plumbing parts for an hour. It turned out really cool and even had a movable valve that opened and closed. It was also my first time trying to recreate burned flesh. I was really happy with the way it turned out.

Do you try to communicate any specific thoughts or feelings through your work?
I don’t think my work is really that deep. I try to make unique horror art and leave most of my work’s interpretations up to the viewer.

The Cabin Doll
Some of your pieces are quite graphic and gory. Have people's reactions to that ever caused any problems for you?
Not really. If someone comes across my work and doesn’t like it, they usually just stop looking; and that’s something I encourage. Sometimes though, people let me know that I’m going to hell that that they’ll pray for me. They also suggest that I use my artistic abilities to make ‘pretty angel babies’ instead.

You're currently working on a set of movie monster dolls. Can you give us any details about that?
I just finished up Pinhead from the Hellraiser movies. I plan to make a couple more classic movie monsters/villains. These might include a Frankenstein’s monster, Mummy, Nosferatu, and others.

The cuts and blood effects on your dolls are very realistic. Have you ever learnt horror FX make-up techniques?
I’ve never had any formal training in special effects. Most of what I make comes from watching movies and trial & error.

What are the best and worst things about being a horror artist?
The best is being able to make things that horror fans appreciate and get excited about. The bad is people assuming I’m some dark, gothic, morbidly depressed person who had a deranged childhood. I make fictional art and I’m a nice guy people!

Do you have any advice for anyone who wants to get into doll making or creating horror art?
My advice for future artists trying to get into the genre is to have fun. If you’re not having fun making art, then you’re not going to do it for long.

Lastly, please could you give a message to your fans?
I just want to thank everyone that has shown an interest in my work and to expect bigger, better, and more interesting art in the future.---------


A big thank you to Armgardt Richter Rose for doing the interview with us

For more information, to keep up to date with news and to view more wonderfully scary dolls, check the Abomination Nursery website.
Or, if you want to meet the man behind the dolls and love horror, Armgardt Richter Rose will be at Monster Mania Con 17, in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA on March 11th-13th.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing article! This guy has so much talent! I could totally see him doing special effects or props for films... great work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...