Saturday 13 April 2013

A-Z Blogging Challenge: L is for La Llorona

A still from KM 31: Kilometre 31 (2006), featuring a La Llorona-like character

La Llorona, "The Weeping Woman", originates from Mexican mythology and folklore. She is said to be the spirit of a woman, dressed in white, with long, flowing hair, who roams the Earth mourning for her children, while wailing and crying. 

One version of the tale of La Llorona tells of a beautiful woman called Maria, who falls deeply in love with a man who doesn't want her. She thinks that without her children, the man may accept her and so she drowns them, in order to make her more desirable to him. However, he once again rejects her and so she drowns herself in despair. 

When she reaches the gates of Heaven, she is not permitted because of the murders of her children and, trapped on Earth as a ghost, she searches for them, crying "Oh! My children!" in sorrow. In some stories, La Llorona will also kidnap any children she finds in an attempt to replace her own children. It is also said that anyone who hears her wails will die soon after.

Other versions of the story:

4 comments:

  1. I have not heard that story before and, I was glad that what I thought said Goat was in fact Ghost. Although it would explain why goats are seldom happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sad, sad myth! I love the name of your blog.

    A to Z buddy
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sad story. However, I think she deserves her punnishment. How could she kill innocents, and children she should love? You chould have featrued your own name, Lilia. I love it and named my heroine Liliha in Still Rock Water.
    Mentha aquatic. Manipulative.
    This water-loving mint grows on wet marshes, fend and woodlands. The peppermint-scented plant bears tiny purplish-blue flowers, crowded into whorled spherical heads. The water mint may be used in herb medicine in the preparation of peppermint tea and used to alleviate coughs, colds and flu.
    Wolves in sheep's clothing, or manipulators, turn your words against you. If you say, "I'm really annoyed that you forgot to repay that debt," they will say, "Fancy thinking I'd forget. I should have told you about the worries I have at the moment. I didn't want to trouble you." You know they're really not sorry at all, but trying to gain your sympathy. Trust the little voice inside that tells you they're being manipulative. If you give in, they'll continue. Instead, drink Mentha peppermint tea to alleviate the symptoms, and retain your positive outlook.
    Proverb: Man does not live by bread alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard this story before, but it's really interesting!

    My Writing Blog
    My Life Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...